Rwandan women in prison

I'm not sure why I am so fascinated with the prison system in Rwanda. Perhaps because it is more visible than our correctional facilities in America, or perhaps because I work with many ex-offenders. I was taking a quick trip to the store with Holly and Bryan who pointed out, "Look, it's a prison…a women's prison." There stood many women in pink and orange. The women who are about to be released are in orange and everyone else wears pink.

I noticed just on the other side of the wooden fence there were children running around and playing, surely there wasn't a school next to a prison?! I asked Holly and Bryan who responded, "The children must go somewhere. Many of the women who are in prison have to have their children staying in the cell with them."

I slumped back into my seat as if the air had been deflated from my chest. What kind of life were these children being exposed to and what future will they have? Then I remembered from last year learning that the prison system doesn't provide meals, your family is responsible for that. I asked if they knew how food was brought to these women and their children and they were unsure. They said that I should ask Eddie, I'm sure he will know more of this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big