Working in Rwanda

As I have started working in Rwanda, I realize what a big part of our job is networking. There are no YellowPages for Kigali, so we learn about other organizations by taking phone numbers and exchanging business cards. I recently was introduced to an organization that I am particularly interested in, called Tubahumarize (too-bah-hoo-mah-ree-zey).

"Genocide survivor, Jeanne Mwiriliza, founded TUBAHUMURIZE in January 2006, after the murder of one of her dear friends. Following the 1994 genocide of nearly one million people, including her own husband, Jeanne made it a regular practise to meet informally with women to share burdens and provide one another with emotional support. Her friend’s murder, however, was the catalyst for her to formalize an organization that would support women in many ways. That woman friend to Jeanne, who was crippled moving on a wheel chair, always talked about the violence done to her by her husband. One day she called Jeanne and told her that not only he beats her but he will kill her. Jeanne told her that he was frightening her because it was not that simple. Unfortunately, the following day the husband killed her. Jeanne got saddened by the event that while she was thinking of an advice to give to the woman that is the time she was killed. This was one of the many cases of violence done against women in their families and that made her take a decision to help women get together, pray and give testimonies, share experiences, console each other and find solutions to their problems. In these meetings and sharing of experiences, the gathering kept growing with everyone talking about her ordeals including Genocide cases of rape, and those who got AIDS from Genocide rapes, those who got unwanted pregnancies and many other problems. All these made them create an association known as TUBAHUMURIZE meaning let us console them."

As the counseling side of the organization began to evolve, Jeanne started a self-supporting sewing business, giving the women a holistic approach to find healing. The sewing shop is now open to the public and I take all my friends and any visitors I can. Every time I leave, I promise to the ladies who are cutting quilt squares or sewing bags that I will bring more friends. Because I know my friends who get a tour of the organization (often given by Jeanne), including meeting the ladies who are working in various areas of the sewing process, will want to purchase a bag, some potholders, or even a quilt for their bed, knowing they are able to help Jeanne's ladies!

When I made my budget to move to Rwanda, I included some "working money"--money that can be invested back into the community to make a difference in someone's life here. Because I am still $500 under budgeted, I have had to shuffle money and have not even been able to think about working money. My birthday is November 1, so I am asking for a birthday gift totaling $1,000 that I can use to invest back into the community.

Whether it is investing in some fabric for Tubahumarize or buying books or small toys that we can take to the orphanage and use to play with the kids there, I am asking for a financial gift--a birthday present that I can share with some friends here. Many of you are already monthly supporters and I understand if you are doing everything you can. But some of you are able to give $10, $25, $500 or maybe the entire $1,000.

You will get a detailed birthday card from me, entailing the work that was accomplished with your money! To give your birthday gift,
click the donate button above to make an online donation or mail to check made to ROC Partners at 2604 NW 113th Oklahoma City, OK 73120.

Blessings,
jamie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big