My normal days...whatever that means

I have gotten through some of the settling phase and am starting to feel like I'm getting some work done. Almost everyday something new pops up that I have to deal with that sometimes consumes a lot of time.

I start my week on Sunday by attending first service and then sometimes teaching one of the kids/youth classes. We eat lunch as a team after second service and because restaurants are so slow, we get home around 4pm. =) On Mondays, I work half a day (which seems to keep turning into full days) in the KICS office, helping their volunteer administrator with their web and email issues and some general computer questions. Tuesday is ladies Bible study and our staff meeting during lunch. Wednesday, we start by visiting the orphanage then back to the office around 11am. On Wednesday evenings, I join Moses and the youth and we spend time worshiping through song and learning new songs. Every Thursday morning, members of our ministry team meet to pray for any needs that are going on and then office day. Fridays are in preparation for youth night or in the office. I try to take Saturdays off, but once a month we take a group of young folks to the orphanage.

3 days a week I am in language lessons for one hour a day, trying to learn kinyarwanda. I'm impatient. My instructor taught me "ihanganye", which means patience. =)

My days are peppered with errands and different issues that come up needing attention.

Moses and I have scheduled some upcoming events, including once a month service activities and for me, two different girls Bible studies. We have discussed how to reach out to the diversity in our church--the "expats" or non-locals and the locals. The expat kids are generally westerners who are joining their parents in this new and interesting culture. The two groups deal with varying sets of issues, so we felt like to get them to open up and feel free to discuss frustrations and issues, we are going to try splitting the groups and then once a month bringing them all together. We are starting that in October, I'll let you know how that works out!

Just a small glimpse into my days right now. I think I've summed my days up too well, because it doesn't look like very much and I am exhausted at the end of every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big