Sweet babies

When we left the orphanage yesterday, Keli says that she prays that they will feel our arms all through the night. I thought that was a pretty good prayer for them. There were a few that were crying really hard. Instead of the baby massages, I choose to just hold and walk around with the crying ones.

One little girl was crying so hard, so I just held her tight, sang to her and rocked back and forth with her until she finally gave up and went to sleep. I held onto her while she slept because I was afraid she would wake and because I wanted to snuggle on her a little longer. I don't know her name, but she was a sweetie. Out of habit, I say things like "It's ok. It's going to be ok" to them. But I catch myself thinking that I don't know what their future will hold, so I just said prayer for God to watch over them. Finally, I laid her down and she was so tired she barely budged.

There was one little girl who had a herniated belly button, so her belly button was this huge cone protruding from her belly. At first I didn't know how to hold her because I didn't want to hurt her, but it didn't seem to cause her pain. She had quite the little personality. It was snack time and she was definitely going to get her share. Snack time consists of smashed bananas and hard boiled eggs all mashed up together..mmmm. I'm not sure that Gerber will market Egg and Banana-flavored baby food, but they liked it.

I left with pee on my leg and bananas/eggs on my shoulder...it was a good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big