Similarities

I'm sorry my writings have become more sparse that is due to a lot of things. Internet options changing frequently and also having a little bit of writer's block. With the Internet, I can use it at various places--the courtyard, the wall by the fence to our property, a local Internet cafe, etc--but it gets pitch dark here by 6pm and sitting outside in the dark leaves my legs mosquito bitten. I really don't want malaria just to use the Internet, so I'm writing when I can. =)

There is something that has been running through my mind, so I wanted to share. It may not be a new idea for many, but for me it is a bit of an epiphany. Earlier, I pointed out some of the differences of Rwanda. Now, I am seeing some similarities.

In America, we have created generations who are dependent on governmental assistance programs (which I am not bashing). Families have become so dependent upon these programs that to change them would dramatically affect so many lives and not in a positive way. We, as a country, have not figured out a suitable way to empower people to only be on government assistance for a temporary amount of time. Again, please let me emphasize, I am not bashing our government programs, I am a firm believer there is a time and place for them.

In Rwanda, the country has been so dependent on foreign aid, the same problems have been created. Over 60% of the country is unemployed and the average wage is $1 a day. There are those who just don't want to work, but there is also a shortage of jobs. Rwanda depends on foreign aid from various countries. Just before the genocide, foreign aid underwrote 60% of the country's annual budget. I'm not sure what the percentage is now, but I know the current government is fighting to establish self-sufficiency.

My question being for both countries is: How do you help without enabling? In my opinion, we can't throw money at a problem to solve it. If I give money hand-outs here, it creates an expectation that all mzungus will give money, which I have been told and seen that is what has happened. For example, a mzungu comes to Rwanda and sees how much we have compared to how little there is here. While they are here, they have a worker to assist them with various things--maybe cooking or cleaning, which is very common because of the lack of conveniences that we have in America (dryers, dishwashers, vacuums, pre-packaged meals, drive-thrus, etc). If they give an outrageous amount of money according to Rwandan standards to the worker, then the worker will begin to expect that all mzungus can pay that price and thinking they can get more, they won't work for less even if this means being unemployed. So one would rather not work, than work for an amount they feel is now beneath them, because one person gave them that expectation.

If we give money to those begging in America, it creates the same expectation. I see a man on the street holding a sign. I know it is my "Christian duty" to help the poor and needy, so I dig some change out of my car and give to this person. Now, the expectation has been set and the conditioning has begun. Begging becomes their job. They have been beaten down by life and the only thing they see as an option for feeding themselves is begging from those who feel sorry for them. My pity does not empower that person to change their life.

So, you may be reading this hoping that I have the nugget of wisdom to solve this problem. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I don't. I have confirmed in my mind that throwing money at the individual, who obviously has no idea how to handle the money, is not the answer. I know education in various forms will change someone's life. I know Jesus is the answer, but even Jesus met the basic needs of people-whether it was feeding the hungry or healing the sick. What I mean by that is that I can't come here, evangelize, but not educate them on how to meet their basic needs. It doesn't work that way.

There are several books that have been recommended to me to read, one is something like When helping hurts, so if someone would like to go ahead and order this from amazon for me, I would love to get started reading it when I get home. =)  Just kidding. From my own words, you should empower me to order it myself, so I will learn and appreciate it. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big