I'm a dreamer, a believer

I have been thinking how I am supposed to describe the images I saw yesterday and I'm going to do the best I can, so bare with me. We can't take pictures, so I will do my best.

After 3 attempts, we were finally able to spend time at the orphanage. This orphanage was set up through the Catholic church because it is ran by nuns (P.S. they are so cute). They have visiting hours that people can come and spend time with the children everyday but Thursday.

Wide-eyed, Amy and I followed Keli to a locked gate where we could see a lower level where children who were around 3-5 years old were playing. One little girl in a striped shirt and navy skirt saw that we were waiting by the gate for visiting hours to begin, she looked up at us excitedly and turned to run away. She was alerting the others that there were guests. Within a minute, about 20 or 30 small children came running up to us. They were chanting something in Kinyarwandan. The gate was opened and we were able to continue down the stairs. The children ran to our sides, grabbing our hands, holding their arms up so we would pick them up. Keli, Amy and I were holding one child in our arms and our free hand was quickly grabbed by at least one other child.

Our goal for going to the orphanage is to give "baby massages"; the children lay in their cribs for long periods of time and get very stiff and some have limited mobility. Keli took us into a room with babies from about 3 months to maybe just over a year. It was snack time. There were three ladies smashing bananas to give to these young kids. One of the older children followed us into the room and kept running to Amy with his arms in the air, so she continued to hold him as the rest of the older children were shooed back outside.

Keli said we could go ahead and pick up one of these little ones while we were waiting for the even smaller ones to come. I looked around and saw a small child laying on the ground, she didn't seem to have much strength to move around very much, so I figured I would snuggle on this one for a while. I was told by the ladies in the room that her name was Christelle, and she repeated Chris. Chris had the curliest eyelashes I have ever seen. They seemed to curl all the way back to her eyelid. She reminded me of a baby that I saw last year at the hospital I was able to visit, so I was drawn to her.

All of the babies have these cloth diapers, which are less than absorbent, by the way.  Some had a covering that helped keep things inside. This reality impacts the condition of the room. The smell wasn't like sewage, just not as clean and fresh as a nursery in America would be. There were metal cribs all around the room. The larger cribs would hold multiple children, one held 6 toddlers, two of which were dangling their legs through the bars.

My first inclination was to hold Chris away from me, I mean, I was still holding her, but I had my nice clothes on. Then I looked over at Keli, who was loving and snuggling up to the little one she was holding and I thought about her two boys that were adopted from this orphanage. I also thought of Bizi, who was adopted by Melissa & Dave at church or the other two adopted by another couple I know. I have no hesitation holding onto Keli's boys. So with tears in my eyes, I put my cheek to Chris's forehead, holding her close to me. The tears came for many reasons..it isn't fair that I was born in American to a family that loves me and that these children are sitting in their less than clean clothes in an orphanage.

Other ladies began bringing in the babies for us to massage, so I put Chris back on the concrete floor where she rolled back over to her back and laid there. I was handed a baby named Frank. He had a beautiful round face, but there was a look in his eyes I can't describe. I laid him down and began to talk with him and Keli explained that I should move his arms and legs to improve their flexibility. I slowly and very carefully began to stretch his arms. He quickly resisted, keeping his elbows tight to his side. Slowly, I was able to get Frank's arms up to head and then a full stretch. Keli pointed out that his head was only facing one direction and that his neck was probably stiff. I moved him into a sitting position and began to get his eye contact and move to the other side to try to get him to turn his head. I got a little movement, but not much. I think it was because Keli was more interesting and she was on his good side. After a few minutes, I noticed his breathing was a little heavy and then...BURRRPPP. Awesome...Apparently, something Frank ate earlier did not do well on his stomach. I grabbed his little blanket and cleaned him up. (Remember, I'm not a mom) So I thought he needed some snuggles, I picked him up and had his head on one shoulder. Keli says, "Oh no, Jamie, it got on your clothes." Apparently, he wasn't done. I laughed, "It will wash". I mean, It was one of my many super finds at the thrift store, so I wasn't really worried.

Frank continued to throw up a little off and on, but nap time was coming. I gave him to one of the ladies who laid him down in one of the cribs. Amy was holding onto one of the toddlers and another was sitting on the ledge by her, so I went over and grabbed that little sweetie, Angelo. He quickly laid his head on my shoulder. I adjusted him where his head was in the crux of my neck. He grabbed my necklace and stuck his thumb in his mouth. I held him so tightly and just swayed back and forth.

It was time to go, visiting hours were over. Keli explained that there are so many who are not adopted. Many of the little girls continue to live there and work as they get older. The boys will be given a little land and a hut to be able to live and work the land. But what kind of life will they have? Do they know there is more outside of the world they have grown up in?

I pray for each little orphan, not only in Rwanda, but throughout the world. My friend, who will remain nameless, who has adopted expressed one day a frustration of when people say that they can't adopt one because they would want to take them all. Her response, "Well, by all means then, don't help that one." =)  I have heard other statements expressed, "This isn't the right time", "I'm not financially ready", etc etc. I want to send an exhortation...if God has put it on your heart to adopt...DO IT. God will work out the details, it is only your responsibility to obey. *stepping down from my soapbox*

Selah

Comments

  1. Love it. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to go massage when we're there! I will take them all! :D It's emotionally so hard to be there with those sweet babes. Your love is huge and yet you hurt for them too.... and each is so darn adorable!!!! You have an awesome heart sweet friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. Selah was another name we were trying on for our newest. Love it! AMEN!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big