80/20 Split

I have made a declaration among my friends here...I have decided that I have been spending 80% of my time working and 20% playing, as of Friday, October 1 that changes. I am still in the process of completing a couple of projects that I am mostly finished with, but am waiting on data from others.

My first day upon declaring my freedom started with a trip to Furleps (I think that is the spelling). Keli Shreck and the boys picked up me and took me to have fun. We spent a great deal of time looking at some really awesome handmade items--some of which will be joining me on my return trip home.

Next, to lunch. As I was putting my treasures in the car, a small child walks up to Keli and I saying, "Mzungu" with his hand out. He is one that breaks my heart to see coming. They wear torn clothes and many have no shoes. This group has been taught that white people have money and that he should beg from us. Keli's little guys were standing there watching him; he stood about as tall as they were. We can't give them money for several reasons. One, it encourages a behavior. Two, begging is against the law. And finally, the government officials have warned the group here that they will be asked to leave the country if they give hand outs. It is so important to the development for the country to teach, starting at a young age, that they will prosper so much more if they get an education and are able to become self-sufficient.

It is so hard, as an American, to see a child like that when we have so much. The hardest thing is that you can't make eye contact with them, you have to pretend like you don't see them or they won't go away. What will he become when he grows up? Will he make it to be a grown up? 

So my lesson for the day: I am so thankful to have a job that I can work and earn a living. I am so grateful to have an education. I am thankful for being born of fabulous parents who have always encouraged me to be anything I want to be and to have a family who supports me no matter what. I am grateful.

I know these stories don't really flow together, but that was literally how things went.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big