One month mark

As of tomorrow, I will have been away from Oklahoma for one month. It is funny the things that I have really noticed that I missed, besides my family, of course. I told Keli Shreck that I would pay 100,000 francs for a Dr. Pepper (that is the equivalent of $200, by the way). I repeated the same sentiment later in the day to Bryan, who went into his cupboard and no kidding pulled out a bottled Dr. Pepper (which I haven't seen in one WHOLE month)--funny thing was that his youngest had drank about 3/4 of the bottle and when he opened it, it didn't even spew.  I told him it didn't count because it was flat, whew!

I also miss my car, not just my little Fit, but the convenience of being able to jump in my car and go to a fast food restaurant or Wal-Mart to go pick something up. There is a convenience factor that I really miss. When we go to a restaurant to eat, I know it will be at least 2-3 hours. And you can't go to one store to get what you need. Over the counter medicine is bought at the pharmacy, bread at another store, pop at another. Also, I either have to get a ride with someone or call a taxi. It is funny how spoiled I have become by growing up in America.

O, funny restaurant story (my sister would not have tolerated this one): On Sunday several families went out to eat together to a restaurant we have been to as a small group a couple times, but not such a large crew. So, we got out of church just before 12, got to the restaurant and started placing our order, which was completed around 1p. No, we didn't receive our food at one, we finished placing our order at 1. So we began to make little bets as to when we would receive our food. Just before 2p, the kids finally got their drinks and just after 2p, the food was slowly starting to come out. Food came out, no silverware.  I know I shouldn't tell this story on Keli Shreck, but I'm going to anyway..it's my blog. So she goes over to make sure that food is placed with the appropriate kid. She asks the waiter for silverware. He goes over, grabs one fork and one knife which is wrapped in a napkin, puts it on a small plate and brings it over to two tables of about 8 children. She looks at him with this look of confusion and says, "They ALL need silverware." He wrinkles his brow and says, "All of them?". Keli responds in frustration, "YES, all of them." So he returns with one more set, wrapped in napkin, presented on a small plate. I think what saved his life was the waitress who came up behind the poor guy with a handful of forks. By 3p everyone had their food and by almost 4p we were home for a Sunday afternoon nap. =)  Can you imagine?! Oh and one more thing, our bill--when we ordered, we tried to tell them who would be on the same ticket. He almost got that right, but did combine a few of us. Our bill included things that we did not order, over $40 worth of things we didn't order. So the waiter noticed I was marking things off and trying to re-figure my bill. He wanted to correct it and give me a new one, but I knew it would be another hour. So, trying to keep my composure (as I just had led a discussion in youth about the fruit of the Spirit--love, joy, peace, patience, etc), he tried to take it from my hand, I pulled it back and told him that I was taking care of it and I would give it to him when I was done (all said with the love of the Lord).

Comments

  1. hahaha, something I definitely don't miss from Rwanda: customer service!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big