Rwanda Differences

There are many things that are different in Rwanda that you must get used to..some harder than others for me.


I will start with something that is still hard to stomach...milk that you buy in a box, on a shelf. Only after you open it do you put it in the fridge. So the first time you open it, you pour it over your cereal at room temperature. That just doesn't seem right?!

Bugs and birds are different. I have mentioned the mosquitoes, ants and roaches, but I did not tell you about a moth that Kassidy Shreck found in one of the cabinets at the church. I took the picture so that you can compare it to the size of the glue sticks below it. As you can see, it is the size of a small bird!

Next, I would like to show you two of my favorite differences in Rwanda. Bananas and avocados..mmmm
The avocados are HUGE! They are so rich and have such a fabulous flavor. One has the insides of about 2-3 that I could buy at the grocery store back home. The other night, I made an avocado salad consisting of apples cut up, cashews, macadamia nuts, and avocado. What is even cooler about the avocados is that I put the salad in a sealed container in the fridge and ate it two days later. The avocado wasn't even brown yet.  Pictured is one of the avocados that Fanny was able to obtain for me from the ladies who carry fruits and vegetables on their heads to sell. 

The itty, bitty bananas are so sweet--I keep thinking it is some sort of candy. =) They are a great afternoon treat.

Comments

  1. LOVING reading your blog Jamie!!! Thanks for all these great stories!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big