Mosquitos and Ants and Roaches, Oh My.

The first night I was in Rwanda, I kept hearing this little buzzing noise around my head. I quickly realized…mosquitos. So I slept with a sheet covering my face, so I could sleep. The next night, I turned on the fan to help keep them away. I felt like Simba the first night…Jana was explaining to me how there are lizards everywhere that eat the mosquitos…and that is the circle of life, Simba. As I looked around the screened-in porch where we were sitting, I noticed one gecko over my head and another on the other side of the room. He wasn't there to sell me insurance that for sure.

The ants here are black and quite large, I think about the size of a fire ant. And they walk around everywhere. To find Brett Shreck's office, all I have to do is follow the ant trail and they lead me almost right up to his office door.

And the roaches--at the Alligator store that I take my nephew to in Oklahoma City, there are large cockroaches in a glass aquarium called Hissing Cockroaches--I have seen two so far just scurrying around.

Don't think just because I'm staying in a "guest house" that my life is too cushy--this morning I went to make coffee and I moved the coffee maker slightly to plug it in…a whole family of cockroaches ran out from under it!! Several good sized ones and a whole bunch of little baby ones! I jumped back and looked for the spray..no spray…so I just waited for them to either run under the table or back under my coffee maker. I told Jane and she said that she thought they might have a home in her new stove and that maybe they came with the stove. What a deal…here is a new stove and your very own colony of cockroaches. Congratulations!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big