Welcome to Africa, you have no door.

I will be staying with the Jenkins family, one of our missionary families, for about a week.Then will be moving into the guest house at the Kigali International Community School where I stayed last year.

My travels were great, I didn't have some of the long lay-overs that I did last year, so I was running from gate to gate. We had a short delay in Newark because of the weather; all flights were grounded which caused a delay once we were actually able to board the flight because all the planes were taking turns trying to get out of the airport. About one hour and 25 planes later, we were off. I made it into Brussels with about 40 minutes to navigate where in the world I was supposed to be, go back through security and jump on a bus to be transferred to the area the flight was about to leave. Finally at around 7pm on Tuesday night, I made arrived in Kigali. My heart raced and I nearly ran from the plane to the airport (there are no walking tunnel things in the airport). Okay, I didn't run, but I moved at a swift pace. As I went for my bags, I noticed Natalie Shreck poking her head out among the crowd, straining to find me. I knew I had arrived. Not only had I arrived, but all my bags found me as well and everything was in tact--success.

So, as I make my way through the crowd with my three overweight bags and two carry-ons, I see that the Shrecks (who recently moved from their nice house in Edmond to join the Rwanda team), part of the Jenkins and part of the Hixons had taken time to greet me at the airport. It was so exciting to see that they took the time to come meet me!

We get in the car to head to the Jenkins' house and Jana smiles and says that I will be staying in her daughter, Ruthie's room. I was looking forward to a bed, so I didn't really care where. But then she continues that a short time ago, Ruthie's door had locked her in her own room and so they had to remove the door to get it fixed. She said that because of my arrival, she was really motivated to finally get the door fixed, which they hadn't done on Tuesday. So, "Welcome to Africa, you have no door." I didn't care, I was exhausted and I just wanted a place to stretch out on.

So, I awoke early Wednesday morning to the bird chirping outside my window. I laid their and smiled, thanking God for giving me this second opportunity to spend time in Rwanda. Then, someone else awoke, which lead to most of the Jenkins' family running about the house trying to get ready for school, eat breakfast and make some time to pick on each other before leaving. =)  Thus, the Jenkins' hurricane.

Little Timothy, running down the hall tattling that Ethan was picking on him and he defend himself by saying, "Mom, I'm perfect." I loved it! After the hurricane made it's way to the car, Jana comes in to tell me that my door has arrived. And that was the start of my first day in Rwanda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big