Just call me bruiser

So...on Sunday night, after all the chairs have been moved out of the "auditorium" at church...the rumble begins. "CCR Roller Derby", as some may call it. Yes, we roller blade in the church building--my parents will be so disappointed. Some of the local missionary kids have been invited to roller blade at the church and they graciously invited me. I was foreseeing a leisurely roll around the building and that is what is was until someone said, "Let's play handball." Handball is a game that has been created by these kids and is a combination of basketball/soccer/roller derby. They put two tables up against the walls facing each other and pulled out the basketball. I'm not as strong as I once was on rollerblades and am definitely out of shape on them, so I volunteered to be "goalie" because I could do it with my running shoes on. Little did I know what I was signing up for.

These young, sweet missionary kids turn into ravage beasts once they have blades on and a basketball in hand. Seriously, I'm going head to head with these kids--most junior high age--throwing the ball towards my legs as hard as possible to obtain a score. Have you ever had a basketball thrown at your legs...repeatedly...for a couple hours?

The result: We switched teams 3 times and I am proud to say that each time my team won. Our last round was boys vs. girls. The final score was 17-13, girls up and the parents called the game. After all was said and done, I looked down at my knee, which I knew took a hard hit, only to find a swollen bruised knee cap. I'm glad to say that Jane had ice on hand to help the swelling and I have an awesome bruise to boast my battle wounds. I will not go into how sore I was when I woke up Monday morning!!

Stay tuned for the rematch next Sunday night.

Comments

  1. Dude, I was totally expected pictures of your bruises. I hate to admit it, but I'm a little disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big