Bible Study

I mentioned that last week I went to a Bible study consisting of women throughout Kigali from many Christian faiths. It was so amazing that I couldn't wait to go back this week. Moving on through the book of James, we studied chapter 2:14-26. The ever-controversial passage, faith vs. deeds. I wanted to share a few thoughts that came out of this study of believers.

Faith without deeds is dead, does nothing, is useless, incomplete, no witness, and can't save. But if you have faith, it will manifest into taking care of physical needs of those less fortunate. It was emphasized to start with your own believers.

Righteousness was a gift, or "credit" from God, but Abraham fulfilled it by acting on it, which justified what was given to him.

Grace saves you, we respond w/faith, deeds are the result. We are not saved by good works, but saved to DO good works. (that was one of my favorites)

I love the book of James, it is such a walk the walk kind of book. James, who scholars believe was the brother of Jesus and was known as an elder in the church at this time. I learned this when studying James several years ago, the study also began with a little note about Francis of Assisi. St. Francis had an apprentice and they were going into a town for the day to share the gospel. After a full day of meeting with people, his apprentice looked at him and questioned, "We didn't preach one sermon all day." Francis educates his young apprentice on what they had done...sharing the gospel and what that is about..and he says, "and if you must preach a sermon." It is not about what comes out of our mouth, but what is mirrored everyday in every situation by our actions. Sharing the gospel is being kind to everyone, sharing God's love, and listening a lot.

This is what I have learned today in Rwanda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big