Funny conversation with Fanny

I know I wrote last year about Fanny…I don't think I have mentioned her yet this year. Fanny is one of many workers on the KICS property. In my opinion, she is one of the hardest workers there! Fanny works hard from the time she arrives to the time she leaves at the end of the day. She quietly goes about her business making sure everything is spotless.  It is hard to tell age, but I think she is probably a little younger than I am..maybe early 20s.

The first day I moved into the guest house, Fanny came walking through..she smiled and put her hands on her face. I was so excited to my Rwandan friend who I can barely talk to! Everyday, we try to converse, in our complicated way.

Yesterday, I was trying to ask her where I should by Avocados, which in Rwanda are called, Avacots (not sure on spelling). She told me, "Supermarket", which is down the street. I knew I could walk down there later in the day, so I wasn't too concerned. She pointed to herself and said, "I go Supermarket. You need today?"  My response, "Sure, I can give you some money. I don't necessarily need today, but by tomorrow would be nice". Fanny smiled at me, wrinkled her brow and shook her head. So I smiled and said, "Sure. Today. Wait. Money."

So, at the end of my day, I excitedly went home knowing all afternoon that I have avocados waiting for me. I head the kitchen to find my avocados and could not find them. Finally, Fanny comes back and shows me where she has put them. I smile at these super large avocados that look like large pears (that's the best comparison I can give).

Fanny tells me, "People" and points to her head. I say, "People with avacots on their heads?". She says, "Yes. 1,000. Supermarket. 1,500". (She was telling me that the ladies who sell the avocados on their heads were 1,000 francs and the supermarket was 1,500…she is so thrifty) I smile and say, "People" and point to my head "are less than supermarket". Again, the smile, wrinkled brow and shaking of her head. hmmmm less, how do I explain less. "1,500 is more than 1,000". Same response from Fanny. Ahhhh…"1,000 is less than 1,500. Same look. "Oh forget it." I smile and say, "Thank you so much for avacots."

Then, she points to the apple in my hand and tells me the Kinyarwandan for apple (which I've already forgotten). I smile and say, "Apple". We go through several things in the kitchen that way. She would say the Kinyarwandan and I would say the English. We were struggling so hard to understand each other.

She then says, "Go" and makes a motion with her hands like she is dusting herself off. Huh? I'm not 100% sure, but I think she was telling me, she needed to leave to go shower….maybe I could be wrong?!

I think she was worn out, she ended with, "Tomorrow. Bye." I think she was hinting to me that she had had enough English for the day.

Comments

  1. I love it, friend! So, I woke up this morning and thought of you, then I thought of a goat. :o) Love ya! Tara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big