Finding Internet (Like Finding Nemo)

Dave Jenkinds had told me Tuesday night that he had a meeting at the mayor's office and it might be interesting for me to tag along. So Wednesday morning, I put on my skirt (thanks to Missy B, I know own two dressy skirts) and my dressy clothes and was ready to start the day.

Tuesday night, the Jenkins explained their Internet source is a mobile card that has the speed of about dial-up. So I was on a mission. Jana said that I would be able to run up to Bourbon, which is like Starbucks with a full menu, to use the Internet.

We ran a few errands-exchanging money and so forth and stopped at the place where Bourbon was, where we were told that it is closed and will be for two weeks, still no Internet. We ended up at KICS, the Kigali International Community School, which is a part of the ROC Partners, Rwanda Outreach and Community Partners (the non-profit I am volunteering for). When I came last year, it was summer, so even though there were kids hanging around, it was so cool to see the hustle and bustle of the school.

First stop, chapel for the upper grades, led by Dr. Holly Hixon. It was a collection of songs, scriptures and a video. Then, we went to Dave Jenkins' office for an impromptu session of some of the things going on with the work in Kigali. I scribbled notes and asked to be able to visit with school parents to begin quantifying the work at KICS so that fundraising proposals may be submitted to begin a revenue source for ROC.

Remembering that there was Internet at the school last year, I quickly pulled out my laptop and began to try to connect. When they realized what I was doing, sadly, they told me that the leaders of the school decided to cut Internet this past summer because of the expense. Still no Internet. They told me that there are MTN hot spots around town and all you had to do was charge it to your phone. (All phones are pre-paid here, no plans) So you buy minutes for your phone and then that time can be used for Internet. That sounds like a good possibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big