A Mzungu in Rwanda

I shared this with my mom on email and decided it was worth a share here too. I was preparing some carrots today, pealing and cutting off the ends...and soaking them in water with a tiny bit of bleach to kill the germies. As I was going about this process Jane walks in with these super fresh-looking, right out of the ground kind of carrots. Let's just say if we were comparing restaurants--I was eating McDonalds and she was eating Outback--you get my point. Jane saw my little pathetic carrots and gave this silly grin and said, "How much did you pay for those?" I knew this was a set up, but I responded 750 francs, which is about $1.50--I didn't think the price was that bad. Then I ask her, "How much did you pay for yours?" By the way, she had about double the amount that I had. She laughed and quietly said, "200 francs", which is about $.40. What??!! Not only did I get the junky carrots, I paid 3 times what she paid. It's hard being a "Mzungu" (white person).

Comments

  1. hee hee! I hope to learn how to land the best deals around town quickly after we get there!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big