Want to start a Bible Study? Sure!!

I was told when I first arrived, "Don't go looking for work, it will find you." That is to say, "Pace yourself."

So, one of my intentions for coming is to work with the young girls in the youth group. I am still trying to figure out exactly what that looks like. Moses, the youth minister, and I are still working on it. To get started, Moses wanted me to start a study with the young girls. I prayed over it for several weeks and finally just decided to start announcing it and see who shows up. So tomorrow, I will start with the young girls 12-14 years old and on Wednesday evening, I will have 15-18 years old. Both groups are hosted at my house, which is in the same neighborhood as the church and school.

As I have been praying and planning over this study, my roommate looked at me a couple of weeks ago and said, "Want to start a Bible Study at our house?" "Sure," I responded. Just before I left, I had bought a Sheila Walsh study called, "The Shelter of God's Promises". I'm not sure exactly what caught my eye about this study, maybe because I like listening to Sheila Walsh (because she is Scottish). Maybe because she is a Woman of Faith gal. Maybe because God knew there was going to be a moment when my roommate would look at me and say we should start a study. Whatever the reason, I bought the DVDs, the book and the participant guide. Only one week into the study and already it is moving me. There is something so comforting in knowing that God said it and He meant it. We opened the study up to girls/ladies we had heard saying that they would be interested in it, or just people we knew and would like to know better.

There is something to be said about being involved in small groups. There are so many books on the importance of small groups. I mean, look at Jesus, he surrounded himself with a small group. Whether it is has been a Bible class, or Brother's Keeper-type group, I miss it. I miss being so intimately connected with a group of believers.

So, three small groups being hosted in my house of girls and women ranging from ages 12 to ...none of your business. When I agreed to rent the house I am living in, the landlord asked if he could pray over us. It was in Kinyarwanda, but I am told that he blessed us and he blessed this house. It was a motivator for me trying to discover what am I supposed to be doing with my house to glorify God. I have watched my sister use her gift of hospitality over the last few years and am following in her footsteps.

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God." -2 Corinthians 1:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big