Joe's One More Drive

One of my youth minister's in high school, Russ, had a sign hanging above his door that said, "One More." I asked him what it meant and he explained the ending of the movie Schindler's List. Oskar Schindler is credited with saving 1,100 Jews during World War II. At the end of the movie when the war was declared over, Schindler had to escape and was saying goodbye to all the men, women and children who lives were spared because they were "employed" by him. He looked around and said, "I could have saved one more..." Iszhak Stern says, "Oskar, there are eleven hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them." Oskar continues to look around at the things he had, even a pin on his lapel and cries out, "This pin. Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would have given me two for it, at least one. One more person. A person, Stern. For this...I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!"

My youth minister explained that when he stands before the Lord in judgement he didn't want to have the regret of Schindler, crying, "I could've gotten one more for the Lord."

There are a few people in my life that I have crossed paths with who are living the One More model out fully. One couple is Faith and Roger Shaw, who are members at our church here in Rwanda. Because of the turmoil in Rwanda, young Faith was separated from her parents after fleeing the first genocide (yes, there was more than one attempt). You can read more about Faith's story here. Because she had grown up without parents, she was determined to rescue children in her home country. Her husband, Roger, has always had a dream of a fish farm. From California, Faith and Roger began an organization called, Ishimwe (Give thanks to God), where abandoned children could be raised in a family-style home. As the children got older, Faith and Roger moved to Rwanda to expand their dream and begin the Ishimwe center.

That is a very shortened version of Faith and Roger's story. Faith and Roger have two biological daughters and 20 other children! I have had the privilege of meeting one of their biological daughters and 8 of their other children. On Friday, I went with the Shreck's to visit the Lakeside Fish Farm and the home where the children live while they are in school. As we walked around Roger's fish farm, he explained his vision of how the lack of fish in Rwanda will create a niche business that will sustain their rather large family and teach their children a trade. They hope to all move to the fish farm before the end of the year.

There are so many levels to this story that have humbled me. As if Faith and Roger selling everything to pursue their dream of rescuing abandoned children isn't enough. As we ate our picnic lunch on Friday on the porch of the guest house at the fish farm, there were workers returning from their lunch break. I noticed they just kept coming and coming. Faith explained that they are employing 72 people from a very poor community. Many of their employees have never had a job before, not because they didn't want to work, but because there was not a job available. She explained that after their first paycheck, many came to them telling them how they had never had the opportunity to buy soap before and were so grateful to God for them. As I was telling a friend this story, she sighed, "Our choice is what type of soap to buy, not whether we can afford soap or not."

God has put Faith and Roger's family on the hearts of several ROC staff members. I asked last month for a financial birthday gift to invest back into the community. Many have stepped up in donating financially to help and I am so appreciative. But for those who have not yet made a commitment, I am asking for you to adopt one of Faith and Roger's kids for this holiday season. I am working with Faith right now to get sizes for each of the children. Each child needs clothes (spring and summer clothes to fit the Rwandan climate), underwear, shoes, socks and maybe a special toy or two just for them! Remember these are growing kiddos, so adjustable waist would be nice. The clothes can be new or gently worn, as they will get MUCH use. Many shoes don't have sizes here, so it is hard to pass on shoe sizes. You can use your best guest, but all shoes will make it to a child in need.

Several of these children were orphaned by a flood, causing a mudslide, killing their parents.
Davina: Size 4T

Faith: Size 4T (Twin sister to Hope)
Hope: Size 4T (Twin sister to Faith)
Patrick: Size 3T
Ruka: Size 3T
Tumukunde: Size 2T
"Tumukunde" means let us love her in Kinyarwanda. This precious angel baby was left in Faith and Roger's garden with not a stitch of clothes on her.









The money that has been donated so far, will go to shipping these items over, but may not cover the full expense, so money is still needed to make this happen! The rest of the children and sizes will be coming soon! One crate (32x17x12), checked as luggage will cost $200. We have several friends coming in January and hope to have the crates filled by then.

Please contact me: jamie.boiles@yahoo.com if you, your church or group are interested in adopting one or more of Faith and Roger's children for this Christmas season and I can give you more details.

The older children will be posted soon!

Why is it called Joe's One More Drive?
Heaven rejoiced as Joe Carr, my friend and co-worker at The Education and Employment Ministry (OKC) was called home earlier this month. When I found out that Joe had died, being so far from my friends who knew him, I was struck with a weird sense of grief I have never experienced before. Perhaps because he was such a great guy, perhaps because he was exactly one month older than me, perhaps because I feel like I'm a million miles away. I describe Joe like this--he loved Jesus, loved his wife and LOVED helping others. To honor Joe's life of giving to so many, I am asking you to help me through this process of remembering what Joe considered most precious--helping others. Joe lived the One More model on a daily basis, genuinely caring about each person he came in contact with.  Please help me to honor Joe's wife, Kathy, and his family and friends who are here, waiting to be rejoined with him one day by helping this amazing family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big