A unique introduction

How many Christian concerts have you gone to where they encourage everyone to sponsor a kid somewhere a million miles away in some far off country?

I have been to many and have experienced differing emotions when it gets to "that" part of the concert. I have gotten up to go to the bathroom, so I don't feel guilty for not sponsoring a child. I have said things like, "There is so much need in our own backyard, why do I need to send my money across the ocean?" Or how about this one, "How do we even know that money is actually going to get to that kid?"

A couple days after I left for Rwanda, my parents went to a Christian concert where Food for the Hungry was asking for sponsors. My parents sponsored a child who was in Rwanda, an 11 year old girl named Jeanette. My whole family is involved, even my sister's children put part of their allowance aside for Jeanette. This morning, I got to meet Jeanette and her family!

I know for a fact that Food for the Hungry is helping communities in Africa.

I met up with a couple of the staff from Food for the Hungry and headed to a small rural community called, Mbuye (m-BOO-yeh), about 2 hours from Kigali. It was one bumpy road with potholes the size my of car (I rented a larger vehicle, mine wouldn't have made it back to Kigali)! When we arrived, we drew quite a crowd. First, because we arrived in a car and second, because of the mzungu (me--the white person) getting out of the car.


I was greeted with the biggest hug by Jeanette's younger sister. Her whole family came to welcome us. I had a translator explain why I was there and how it was important for me to meet her because my family helps make sure that she goes to school. She told me that she loves science and wants to be a nurse when she grows up! They showed me around their house--living room consisted of a couple of benches, a couple of wooden chairs and a crucifix on the wall--no electricity. There were two small rooms outside of the main house and in between were the cows! Can you imagine walking out your back porch to see your cows? One room was for cooking and the other for storage. The storage room was piles of green bananas, Jeanette's mom explained that they buy them and resale; they are entrepreneurs. The cows only produce enough milk for the family. But with five children, I bet they go through a lot of milk!

Her dad explained to me the hardest part of their existence is the lack of water. The community doesn't have running water. He told me how hard it is to grow things where they are located because there just isn't enough water. The translator described how they use stagnant water for their needs. My American mind asks, "Why can't a well be built here to help them?" In America, we have a problem and we want to fix it immediately.

The mom and dad said that we are now family and they are praying for me and my family. I explained that my family in America prays for them, even my niece and nephews. It was such an honor to be the bridge between my family in America and this family here.

As we were about to leave, the mom stopped me to tell me through the translator that Jeanette had a gift for me in her room. I followed Jeanette and her mom back into the house and into a small room with a mat on the floor. There was a cardboard box with something in it. Jeanette proudly presented my gift, a white rabbit! Yes, it was a LIVE rabbit. I told them in my broken Kinyarwanda that I would not eat it.

As we left the community, the folks from Food for the Hungry took me by the health center and school they have helped set up. It was important for them to tell me that my parents' money helped build those projects. They were especially proud of the latrines, but I was more impressed with their solar panels generating the electricity for the school.

As we drove away, I am humbled and proud of my family.

I heard a sermon one time explaining Mark 16:15, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel…". The verse doesn't say "Go into only Oklahoma City" or "Go into only third world countries", it's says the WHOLE world. Wherever you can go, go. However you can go, go. Don't get up and go to the bathroom when God is presenting you with opportunities like I used to. Find a way to help and do it. If you need help finding a need, I can help with that!

~Selah

(Click here to see more pictures on my facebook album)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big