First post..living in Rwanda

I think it is still a little surreal that I am actually living in Rwanda. Visiting here twice over the last couple of years does give me some familiarity with what is going on around me. So here are my adventures over the last few days:

Arrived late Tuesday night, the plan was to drop my crates at the new house and then spend the night at one of our missionary family's house and officially move in the following day. We arrive at the house and my roommates are not aware that I was coming that night. You see, the house that I am living in is subletted by an American women who is the co-founder of an organization here in Rwanda. She lives in Washington DC, but is in town for a few weeks to work on a new documentary they are working on. She had moved into my room temporarily and had lost track of days (it happens here). Once she realized her error, she quickly sent a message apologizing and let me know I could move my stuff in the following day. Currently there are 5 girls living in the house, but a couple are moving out over the next couple of weeks. The lady rents to only girls and it is somewhat of a guest house, so girls are coming and going every few months.

So, I have spent the last couple of days trying to get settled. Picking up necessity things, which can be difficult. I bought a cell phone, a few groceries to get started and some odds and ends. I do have wifi in my house, which is slower than I am used to, but it's included in the rent which is nice. The difficult part--after the first night in my house with no fan and no a/c (only 2 buildings in town have A/C I am told), a fan went on the top of my list to find. Finding a fan is not as simple as running to Wal-Mart and picking one up. There are quite a few stores that sell fans at varying quality and varying prices, so a significant amount of time is spend running from store to store checking prices.

I am currently looking for a car, because right now I am bumming rides off the closest missionary family. I am a little intimidated buying a car here. First thing, the driving is CRAZY. The only rule on the road--he who has the biggest car, wins. Second, the roads are so rough and many are not paved, so it has to be a car that will stand up to being beaten up on a daily basis. I have a couple I am interested in and will be checking those out soon.

I have been homeless for about 2 months, this is no longer the case. I have been borrowing cars since March, hopefully, this too will be covered soon. And I have a job again. God is good...all the time.

More adventures and pictures soon...

Comments

  1. That'a girl! Hit the ground shopping!! The "chick" in the skirt...is that really you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big