First visit to the orphange

Things have certainly changed in the orphanage we visit. I had been told "there was a new nun in town" who wanted the kids to play and spend time outside, instead of only in their appointed rooms. I was so shocked at the different mood at this place! It has such a lighter mood from the first step.

I got to go today with two lovely women from my church in Oklahoma City who have adopted from this orphanage. Keli, who lives here as a missionary and Melissa who is visiting; this visit was her first time back since adopting her little boy.

As we arrived at the familiar blue gate, I noticed tears streaming from my friend's eyes. I couldn't even imagine the emotion behind seeing that bright blue gate. We got out and I headed down the stairs to the room that we used to visit, but I quickly noticed there weren't as many little children around. And I couldn't find Keli and her girls. I found one of the girls who works there (of course, no english). I asked her if she has seen a mzungu (white person). She looked at me and laughed. So I called Keli and find out where they were. While I was waiting for her to come find us, I thought I would take this opportunity to ask about my little friend from last fall, Shoka. For those of you just joining my posts, Shoka was a light skinned boy (that they called a mzungu) who was just about to take his first steps when I last visited. I asked the girl if she knew Shoka, she smiled and said, "Umzungu?" I smiled and said, "Yes, is he here?" She looked at the other girl and rattled something off in Kinyarwandan. I found out later that the reason there weren't many children was because 35 adoptions have been made in the last 4 months and Shoka was one of them! I was selfishly sad for only a moment not to get to see him, but quickly rejoiced for him finding a home!

They took us into a room with about a dozen little girls about 5 or 6. I just started picking them and tickling them--I love to hear them laugh! We sang some songs and they went along with the motions. They loved Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes in super fast mode. I'm sure they were thinking, "Crazy mzungu!" After a little time there, they took us to the kids who were about 2 or 3, who were playing outside. On our way out the door, Keli showed us the children who were special needs. It seemed to be a good ratio of children to workers and they seemed to be receiving some special attention. I even noticed one in a wheelchair that looked in great condition. This made my heart smile, because I knew that new nun has brought some really great changes! Last years, these precious angel babies were in a backroom somewhere.

After singing, clapping, hugging, loving, getting peed on and smacked in the glasses with milky wet hands, it was time for us to go.

In a room where there were rows of cribs and babies in every single one, there were now fewer cribs and fewer babies. Praise God! And to top such a fun time off, as we were leaving we looked over and saw a mom and a dad receiving their new child! They were getting to take home their baby that God picked out especially for them.

God is good, all the time.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big