Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

In my opinion, and of course this is my opinion because this is my blog, but I believe that the general church-going population believes that as a missionary, I am always on this mountaintop spiritual "high". That I am always seeking God because I have moved so far from home and my family. Let me dispel this rumor, this is not true.

Just like in America, my spiritual walk has peaks, valleys and plateaus. There are times when I see God working and moving in such tangible ways that I sit back and worship and praise His name. I pray so fervently that I become physically tired. Our team takes time to pray every week for various things, but always seeks God's guidance and leadership over us.

And there are times when I see a situation and I pray real hard and I don't see God moving and I look to the sky and ask, "Where are you? Creator of the universe, who can make all things happen and controls the movement of every star, why aren't you moving in THIS situation?". Those are the lows, the painful moments in life where even though I am acknowledging  He is there, I figuratively shake my fist at Him (it's okay to do that sometimes--David did it a lot in Psalms). 

And the most painful moments, and dangerous moments, in my spiritual walk are when I hit a plateau. I live in the spirituality I used to have. I coast the coattails of the spiritual peak. I sit back and remember when I "had time" to go to team prayer. When I used to spend each night preparing for an upcoming Bible study. When I used to seek God's guidance before I made a decision and brought Him my needs before a situation, not after or during.

15"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot. 16So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of my mouth...20Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with me. 21He who overcomes, I will give to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies." (Revelation 3:15-16; 20-22 World English Bible). 

 I do not ever want God to have to consider if He is going to "vomit" me out of His mouth. Ugh..How repulsive?! I have friends who refuse to vomit because it physically hurts their bodies, so they will do whatever it takes to hold in what ever is trying to come out and remain sick just they don't have to vomit. Vomiting is not a pretty sight, there is nothing beautiful or wonderful about vomiting.

Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ (Mark 12-29-30 New Living Translation).

Spiritual coasting is never mentioned in a positive light in the Bible. The greatest, most important commandment I was reminded of yesterday at church..Love God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength...all the time (my addition). God doesn't give me a holiday pass to do it sometimes or seasonally when it fits in my schedule or mood. He says (my paraphrase) Jamie, Love me with everything you have all the time.

Yes, thank you Lord for the reminder. I will love you with everything I have all the time. 
  
~Selah 

Comments

  1. "With everything!" It is a joy and pleasure to serve with you! Thanks for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister!! I wish i could be there with you. Love ya!! In my prayers, Ty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying that you continue to notice the plateau and then work that hiney off following him down whatever path he shows you!! I'm also thanking God for your authenticity! My friend- I'm grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post! Praying for strength and endurance for you and your work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big