Be strong and courageous

After 3 days of VBS and 1 youth worship night, it is confirmed why I sold everything, left my family and moved to Rwanda.

8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:8-9

Our theme for VBS this year was Joshua and his example of following God's instructions and being strong and courageous. We started Wednesday with 33 children, Thursday grew to 39 and ended Friday with 46 children. There are many faces that stood out of those in attendance, but I am humbled by one family in particular. Faith has adopted 20 children. Don't worry, she has hired some "moms" to help her with these little blessings. Each has their own story of how they ended up with Faith, but one story in particular she shared with us.

This little angle baby was left in Faith's garden with not a stitch of clothes on her body. Faith named her "Tumukunde" meaning "let us love her" and that is exactly what Faith and her husband do for their 20 blessings.

After playing games like Duck, Duck, Goose (or "Joose" according to the local children) and singing songs teaching the children to depend on God for their strength, I am reminded why I left everything that I knew to came here.

Every Friday night is youth night. Moses, our youth minister, offers worship or an activity at the church building for our youth from junior high age to those who have just entered university. Last night was worship night. Most of the songs I had heard, but there was on in particular that hit me in a different way. The song is called Freedom reigns: Jesus reigns in this place/Showers of mercy and grace/Falling on every face/There is freedom/Freedom reigns in this place/Showers of mercy and grace/Falling on every face/There is freedom.

I noticed one of the youth, who I have known since my first trip here in 2009, breaking down in tears. He was so emotional, he had to step away from the group to collect himself. I don't know much about his background yet, but I know he loves the Lord and is at church every opportunity he can. He came up during VBS and helped out as a group leader. He loves his Lord who has freed him.

After the worship time was over, I was visiting with some of the girls asking them what they would like me to help out with here, or offer for them to participate in. One girl explained that she wanted more, she wanted spiritual growth and to know her savior. She said that she didn't want to just "chill", but wanted to spend time in a group setting with other girls getting to know the scripture and get to know her God. I asked her what her favorite Bible scripture was and she quoted to me Joshua 1:8-9. I smiled at the connection between VBS and what this girl was begging for--meditating on the word and being strong in His direction for her life.

God is good all the time and all the time God is good.

Comments

  1. Hmmm...reminds me of a certain LTC theme....Be Strong and Courageous..remember the song Matt Denman wrote? PIcs are precious! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! I love that you are there jamie and that you are going to be able to meet that clear desire for the girl to know GOD more! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big