IF God is the Light

I wish I would’ve had a recorder out for the discussion I was a part of on April 7, 2015. My housemates--Janet and Sandra--and I decided to have a dinner accompanied with reflection and prayer for the memorial of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsis where 1 million people were killed in 100 days.

One of the girls from Duhu 2 is our neighbor and attends church with us. She’s been spending time with us on her break from university holiday, so it seemed natural to invite her to this dinner. She was the only Rwandan and I had a mix of emotions with her attendance. I wanted her there, because she is becoming a dear friend, but I was anxious in not knowing if something we would do or say might offend or hurt our friend.

During dinner, I was nervous thinking how if I had just come from a solemn event, I wouldn’t want to attend something with people laughing and being loud. We ate and then Janet began to share that God had put Isaiah 61 on her heart as a message for Rwanda. We went around the table reading one verse each.

“To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes…They will rebuild the ancient ruins, repairing cities destroyed long ago. They will revive them…I will faithfully reward my people for their suffering and make an everlasting covenant with them….Everyone will realize that they are a people the Lord has blessed…”

Each verse was a message of hope from God to Israel (and we think, to Rwanda). Some around the table pointed out specific phrases or verses that represented what they felt like was Rwanda in their experience. Then, our dear Rwandan friend spoke up, I kept watching her, hoping she would share her heart. She began a little timid at first and with each word; she gained more confidence than the next. This is where I wish I had a recorder, because I wanted to remember her exact words and not depend on my memory. She began to compare the memorial of the genocide to a light; coming from darkness into light and explained the only way to do that was through God. She poured her heart out on the table telling us that the memorial should be talked about because it is the only way God can heal the land and its people. The next important thing I remember is her address to us. She started by saying that no one asked us to come here; I wasn’t sure where this was going. She explained that we weren’t “asked” to come to Rwanda, we were “called to come by God” and in that calling, we were obedient. We came to share the Light and that we should take the seriously.

There is a flame used to represent Rwanda, specifically during the memorial time. An actual flame is lit at the Genocide memorial in Kigali and burns for the 100 days of mourning.

Our friend explained that she feels like one reason we are in Rwanda is to share a story of hope, so people throughout the world will not only correlate evil and destruction with Rwanda, but Light.

I battle when I’m in the US or speaking to Americans on whether I should mention the genocide or not. My friend says mention it, but make sure the majority of what I say is about the hope and how far the country has come.

I get emotional thinking about how people here have settled into a deep place in my heart. I often feel I get more than what I bring. I have learned so much about forgiveness, mercy and grace, but most importantly, not judging someone else or their heart or their motives—I confess I do this way too much. I read a recent interview with the President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame, when being questioned about how Rwanda might decide to do something and basically his response was that he doesn’t tell other countries how to run, so people should stop doing the same for Rwanda.

Thank you, President Kagame, for reminding me a basic principle that I often forget—stop getting into others’ business.

Jamie, focus on Jesus and sharing Him with others.

As my sweet friend said, it’s my job only to bring Light. (My friend, Julie, calls me "Light-bringer". I've reluctantly smiled when she says it. Now, I will wear it on my heart!)

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life." John 8:12 NAS


It is my job to be and share the Light, that’s it.

IF God is the Light, then I should not be in darkness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big