My confessional: I hurt most of the time

This is something I rarely talk about, much less write about. So buckle in, I'm getting vulnerable here.

When I was young, up through high school, I was very active. I played softball, golf, any activity at youth events. If there was activity, I was there. During my senior year of high school, I noticed a lot of pain that I just couldn't describe, it was just all over. We were talking with my local college about playing my freshman year as a walk-on with the softball team, but as the heat of the summer kicked in, it wasn't an option. I remember the heartbreaking moment for me admitting that I had hit my limit. I could still play recreational ball, but competitive softball was over for me.

At the beginning of my sophomore year of college something was very wrong, but again, I couldn't explain it; I just hurt all over. I had to sit out a semester of school and my mom was on a mission to find out what was wrong. I was having blinding tension headaches and I constantly felt like I had the flu.

Fast forward through a lot of poking and prodding to the day a doctor told my mom that I had fibromyalgia. In 1999, there wasn't much out there about it and apparently, no one really believed it was a real disease. It is a phantom disease--you can't see it or really test for it, but you know it is there.

My responses:
First, anger. We finally had the cause of the end of me being able to do something that I enjoyed more than breathing (playing softball).

Second, depression. In my mind, I was now a cripple, I was handicapped, I was broken.

Third, more anger and depression.

Somewhere during anger and depression, I was prescribed to go to a physical therapist for the blinding headaches I was having. I was doped up on massive amounts medications--pain, sleep, inflammation, and who knows what else. After several interesting nights of not remembering doing things, like painting on the wall, I decided I was done with medications. Please do not misunderstand, I am not saying that all medicines are bad. I'm saying I was done with not being able to feel emotions because I was so numb and not remembering what I was doing.

As I continued to work with the physical therapist, I went back to school and finished my degree.

Over the next few years, I began to put into practice the things I had been taught by my therapist.

  • When going to the grocery store, only buy one bag worth of groceries. More trips, less weight and physical stress on my body.
  • Listen to my body. Know my limits and know that if I make the choice to push myself past those limits I need to give myself time to recover.
  • I'm not superwoman, I can not and will not be able to keep up with everyone around me. I need rest sometimes and will have to miss out on things.
As much as I love my friends, especially those trying to offer support, there were many things that did not help that I would like to point out here, so you may avoid the same mistake.
  • Don't tell me you understand my pain. You don't and that's ok, I still love you. I don't understand everything going on with you--it's all good. Just love me, but not through strong hugs--they hurt.
  • Don't tell me that God is trying to teach me something through this. This only provokes my anger toward Him "giving" me this.
  • Please never tell me that if I just pray a little harder without doubting that I will get rid of this. I have done this, I have had people pray over me, I believe fully in the power of prayer and may one day be healed of this, BUT don't tell me or imply that my prayers or faith haven't been strong enough.
  • Don't tell me that I just need to go work out. I can do low impact work, but not everyday. There are days that I consider a strong success if I get out of bed.
Here's my life mantra: Do as much as I can on a good day and on a bad day I give myself the grace to do a little, or sometimes a lot, less.

Things I have learned through the last 15 years:

I am not cripple, handicapped or broken. 
God loves me and has given me some amazing gifts outside of being a shortstop. 
I'm completely who He made me to be. 
There will be days when I move a little slower and that is okay.
Pulling away from a hug or a shoulder grab isn't me being rude, I just hurt a lot and physical touch isn't always what I need to feel better.

My reality is that I hurt to some degree almost all the time. I don't like sharing this for several reasons: I don't want to be seen as a martyr, I don't want your pity and I don't want you to think I can't do something. 

I share this because I am tired of the enemy using it in my head to tear me down. I often hear him say that if people really knew this about me, they wouldn't financially support me to be here, or if people really knew that I need a full day of rest every week they will see me as not productive. I'm giving those lies over to Jesus. 

I do not HAVE fibromyalgia, I'm a servant of Jesus trying to live my life to the fullest I possibly can, but sometimes a little slower than others. ;)

Comments

  1. 2 Corinthians 12:6-10. Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

    May his grace be sufficient for you!

    Alex The servant.



    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the strongest women I know.

    Big love & soft hugs,
    MO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being so honest! I think being so open takes away Satan's power to mess with your head. I think you are such a strong woman and I'm proud of you!

    Kim Stringer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you.+ Cleanse your hands, you sinners,+ and purify your hearts,+ you indecisive ones. 9 Give way to misery and mourn and weep.+ Let your laughter be turned into mourning, and your joy into despair. 10 Humble yourselves in the eyes of Jehovah,*+ and he will exalt you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big