Let us Help Each Other

Wow. It seems like yesterday I was driving around Oklahoma seeing family and friends, drinking Dr. Pepper and eating loads of Mexican food! So let me update you on what has been going on for those who don't follow my every move on Facebook. This is a long one…so grab your coffee and let's go...

I jumped right back into work right away, but with a new approach. While in the states, I kept hearing the same message from speakers and mentors: See where God is working and find how you can be the hands and feet, not the other way around. I realized that I'm not supposed to do something, then try and figure out how God fits in. I know, this may be common sense to you, but I'm a little slow and new to this missionary thing. =) Also, I want to get really focused on where my times goes. There are so many good things to be involved in, but I really want to be focused on doing something really well. So you may be asking…where is your focus going?

During the month of April, I begged God, "What is my assignment? Where am I supposed to be putting my energy?". A beautiful series of events unravelled...

Since May, I have been brainstorming with two university interns an idea, a program, to reach out to young women 18-25 years old, providing classes for professional and personal development. We want them to see how uniquely gifted that God has designed them to be and give them some basic skills to achieve anything they dream, but first they have to dream.

My friend is working with a group of young women, so in June I spent some time with a few women entrepreneurs, listening to this group and working with them to learn what their needs are. I realized a few things: 1-many young women don't know how to dream because they literally don't know what is out there as options for them, 2-they lack the confidence of their male peers and often have less options (if the family has to decide who is going to go to school, the boy or the girl, the boy will be selected) and 3-they don't need me telling them how great they are and how they can accomplish anything they dream, they need to hear it from a successful Rwandan woman and 4-they want more for themselves.

From this time came "Duhugurane"; pronounced do-who-GOO-rah-neh, meaning "let us help (mentor) each other, or let up lift each other up". A divine appointment led me to an organization who has already developed a work-readiness curriculum, which we are in the process of requesting formal partnership so that I, with a group of university women, can be trained as trainers. It is a holistic curriculum encompassing marketing and financial literacy and personal topics such as gender-based violence and HIV prevention. Using this curriculum, in combination with (another amazing divine appointment) sessions discovering the giftedness God put inside each of us, Duhugurane is scheduled to pilot December with a group of students who have just completed the equivalent of high school.

The pilot will consist of 25 young women being trained by a combination of university and businesswomen; followed up with group mentoring by the businesswomen. The girls will be allowed to discover with the mentors their options of getting a job, going to university or starting a business. (One of the women entrepreneurs who has been an key part of Duhugurane started a business to put herself through university…a great example of setting a dream and achieving it.)

This is where I need your help…still reading?…..please pray! Pray specifically for me to have patience and let this come in God's timing, not mine. Pray that God will be glorified through the relationships we develop with these young women. Pray for resources, it is going to take financial support to make this happen.

Want to help even more? Now, I need your investment. I have broken my budget into phases. The pilot phase will take approximately $5,000. There are some initial expenses of supplies and training materials that need to be purchased. I have to compensate the university students, all whose university fees and tuition are scholarshipped, for transportation getting to the trainings.

This phase 1 money will allow me the time to research grants and seek some funding from outside sources to support the project on a larger scale. Ready to give? You have giving options--you can mail a check or give online either one-time or commit on a monthly basis.

Details for giving:
Online:
Click here and select "Boiles" and designate either a one-time gift for monthly through auto withdrawal.





By Mail:
Click this form, print, complete and mail to ROC Partners 2604 NW 113th Oklahoma City, OK 73120



I can not do this without your support. Please help me make the dream of these young interns a reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big