Moving to Rwanda

To become a financial partner, click on this picture and download the attached form and mail to: ROC Partners 2604 NW 113th Oklahoma City, OK 73120.
 



I am so honored to have been asked to serve under the Rwanda Outreach and Community Partners (ROC) and I humbly ask for your support today.  ROC is an Oklahoma-based, non-profit organization dedicated to investing in people through faith, community development, and education. After taking two trips to Rwanda, I believe that God has been grooming me through ministry and work opportunities to be able to serve with the ROC Partners, and I need your help.  I ask for your prayers for me and for the work that God is blessing in Rwanda.  And I also need your help to allow me to do this important work and am asking for financial support to be able to begin working in Rwanda by June 2011.

My first trip last year was about three weeks long; I was asked to lead the middle school missionary kids in a sort of VBS at Camp Kumbya.  I also contacted a local missionary nurse and had the opportunity to spend some afternoons at the Kibogora Hospital doing crafts with the children and parents at the hospital. I had a few days before and after camp to spend time learning about the projects of the ROC Partners, including the Kigali International Community School (KICS) and Christ’s Church Rwanda (CCR). On my return trip this year, I went to quantify the work of ROC, specifically discovering the demographics of KICS and whom the school serves. This information will be used for school accreditation purposes as well as fund development research that can be used for grant purposes to expand the work in Rwanda. I also had the opportunity to teach in the children’s and youth ministries at CCR.

The people and leadership of Rwanda are striving to break the cycles of poverty, dependency, and tragedy that have tormented African nations. With hope and hard work, Rwanda has the potential to become the focus of Central Africa’s progress and trade. Rwanda Outreach & Community (ROC) Partners was founded to raise funds to purchase three buildings that sit in the middle of a "model community" in Rwanda's capital of Kigali. Over the last 5 years ROC has evolved into an organization sending individuals and families to continue spreading the love of God to the people of Rwanda. The work of ROC includes:

·         Christ’s Church Rwanda (CCR) is a church plant focused on spreading the love of Jesus in Rwanda. CCR is one of the few churches that has registered with the government in several years. In the past, Rwanda lacked leaders willing to use their influence in business, policy, and education to model God's love, justice and forgiveness. CCR is focused on influencing these "thought leaders" for worship as a base for spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the country. CCR has added Children’s and Youth Ministries over the last few years. There are few churches in Rwanda that have ministries focused on the young.
·         Kigali International Community School (KICS) was started in order to meet a need for an education option for missionary families as well as development and aid workers. Without an education option like this, Rwanda is a difficult location for families with children to base themselves and work. The school has grown from 25 students in 2006 to 200 students for the 2010-11 school year, representing 24 nationalities.
·         Rwanda Presidential Scholars Program was started in 2006 when Oklahoma Christian University (OC) partnered with the Republic of Rwanda by providing scholarships to high school graduates who have excelled in math and science with good English skills. OC is now home to nearly 60 undergraduate and graduate students. This program has grown to include a number of universities throughout Arkansas and Tennessee. ROC Partners has been instrumental in the facilitation of this program in Rwanda from testing, interviewing, orienting, and helping students through the visa application process.
·         Peace through Business was established in 2008 when the Academy of Leadership and Liberty, The Institute for Economic Empowerment of Women (IEEW), and Oklahoma Christian University partnered with ROC Partners to select 15 businesswomen for in-depth business training on the OC campus. Following their training they returned to Rwanda where they have utilized what they learned, as well as participating in “pay it forward” efforts. In 2009, the program, in partnership with IEEW and Northwood University, was increased to 30 women who received two months of training before 15 were selected to go to the U.S. for mentorships. Dr. Holly Hixson, ROC Education Projects Coordinator, has been managing this effort in Rwanda for the past two years.

During my first trip, I had two conversations that made me consider something that had never before crossed my mind—making a short-term, multiple year commitment to the work in Rwanda. The first was with one of the short-term missionaries at Kumbya. She was from New York and about my age. I told her that I thought God might be calling me to mission work. She told me to “throw out my fleece”, as Gideon had, asking God to show me clear signs if this was His will for me. The second was with a Rwandan church member, who told me just before I left for the airport that she hoped I would catch the “virus” [for Rwanda]. She said that she really did not understand what my job was in America, but she knew there were 1,000 people that could do my job. “But,” she continued, “if one American comes to Rwanda, they will be able to help 1,000 people.”

With my work experience in development, public relations and resource building, I will be able to assist the ROC team in continuing to expand the resources available to reach out to the Rwandans. But more importantly, my experience and love for working with the youth and children’s ministry will allow me to assist the youth minister at CCR in discipling the youth.

Again, I am asking for your prayers for me and for the work that God is blessing in Rwanda, but I also need your financial support.  There are three ways you can help:

1.      Donate a one-time gift to assist with my first-year expenses
2.      Pledge and donate on-going support on a monthly basis. My commitment is for three years. I would ask that monthly support begin as soon as possible. Your monthly gift of $25, $50 or $100 would help me be able to move by May 2011.
3.      Or a combination: donate a one-time gift and also pledge to be a monthly partner.
 
My on-going expenses total $2,500 a month and I need $15,000 in one time funds to purchase airfare, housing deposits, purchasing a car and paying for home furnishings.

To begin your financial support, click on the donation form below, print and complete it, mailing it to:  ROC Partners 2604 NW 113th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73120


Thank you for your prayers and support. If you have any questions, would like more information or know of others who might partner with me on this journey, please contact me at jamie.boiles@yahoo.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big