A nomad life

A nomad is “a person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer.”

Over the last few years, I haven’t stayed long in one place. I see other nomads walking through airports and catch up over time spent waiting to board airplanes. I have figured out where the comfiest sleeping places are in certain airports, the best restaurants, and where not to get coffee. I walked into an airport yesterday and my phone automatically connected to their wifi. Uber has become a verb (i.e. I ubered to the airport today.) I learned that people rent out their homes and cars to people like myself; and I’ve rented both.

I’ve figured out how to accrue travel points by spending money and that they can be cashed in for use of a car, train, or airplane; because I’ve used them all over the last year. All because I need to share a story about what God is doing half way across the world and invite people into our mission. I run an organization called Belay Global. Belay the rocking climbing term meaning to secure someone else’s climb up the mountain. We teach and train women in Rwanda their value in God’s eyes and how to change their community by starting businesses.

Jesus sent out his 72 in Luke 10:2-7 and gave some funny instructions that I want to give a modern twist for the contemporary nomad.

Pray to the Lord and ask Him where you are supposed to go and stay. Don’t be a diva and over pack, because you never know how much space people will have who host you. And most people have washer and dryers and can help you by throwing a load in. If you have special allergies, bring your own soap. Which brings me to another point, don’t expect people to accommodate your crazy skin allergies, gluten this or that; it’s okay to bring those things and not annoy your hosts.

Whenever you go into someone’s home, wipe your feet at the door and walk slowly looking to see if there are shoes near the door. If there are, it is probably a house rule to take your shoes off before you enter. Get to know the family you are staying with, play games with them, see how their family spends their time, and you will learn if they love and value God. If they offer to help take care of your basic needs, accept their hospitality; don’t take this blessing from them.  

6 years ago, I left my home culture and became a nomad. I have a home in Rwanda, but because of my current work requirements, I have needed to travel to share the message of our work and raise support for it to continue.

I became a wanderer.

I have become dependent on people’s hospitality. I don’t generally stay very long. I’ve stopped saying goodbye and adapted that to: “See you on the next trip.”

My mind often sings as I’m leaving, “This world is not my home I'm just a passing through” as I’m leaving. But being a nomad has opened my eyes to people’s hospitality and desire to be in community. People have opened their homes to me across the US.

I no longer say I’m “homeless”, but that I’m “home-full”.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big