All the believers were together

44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. Acts 2:44-47

This is a very familiar passage of Scripture. I could probably quote parts or at least paraphrase. In my mind, I had a picture of people who sold everything and lived on some kind of compound. None of them worked, but they grew their own food and just shared everything.

Last week at Bible study we were discussing Acts 2. When we got to the end and this verse was read, the other women in the room laughed and said, “This is us.” My mind questioned, “But we have possessions. I have the couches we are sitting on. I have possessions. How can this be me?”

I sold everything I had to move to Rwanda. My meager savings has been spent on launching a program to help young women in Rwanda. And I couldn’t be more content. Besides a few possessions in Rwanda, most of us here have very little according to our home culture’s standards.

I just finished Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel, which I highly recommend. It’s a challenge to truly commit our lives to Christ and stop living as if we don’t really believe God is who He says He is. He ends the book by describing 3 lines:
·      Line 1: I believe in God and the gospel of Christ enough to benefit from it. But he challenges how this can be real Christianity, even the demons will admit this.
·      Line 2: I believe in God and Christ’s gospel to contribute comfortably. The change here describes those ready to give back as long as it doesn’t cost too much.
·      Line 3: I believe in God and Christ’s gospel enough to give my life to it.
o   Matt 16:25-26. Am I willing to lose my life?
o   Gal 2:20. Could I sacrifice my desires, my hopes, my dreams?
o   Acts 20:24. What would it take to make my life nothing to me, existing only to do what Christ wants me to do?
o   Phil 3:8. Could I truly count all my earthly possessions a loss, making Christ my greatest treasure?

Acts 2:44-47 isn’t about living with nothing. I believe it’s about how we use those things and our motives for living. Are our things a tool to serve God and serve others? If not, can we let go of them? Do we give to others because we ought to? Begrudgingly hoping that we are earning jewels in heaven? Are we sharing our lives with others? Doing life together? Eating together?

Every time I’m back in America, I’m asked when I will come back. And that’s a hard question, because the longer I’m away from my home culture, the less I feel a part of it. The less I feel a desire to have a big house and drive a new car and have fancy or many things. The less desire I have to worship and sing praises to God in a big building with nice carpet.

The longer I’m here, the more desire I have to live Acts 2:44-47. The more desire I have to do life with people with a glad and sincere heart, praising God for His goodness. That’s all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big