Long time no see--say Yes!

So it's been a while, sorry 'bout that. I have many things to say on this post, but I'm going to stay focused on one thing--saying "yes".

When I was making the decision to move to Rwanda, one of my colleagues told me to get a book called, "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God" by Lysa Turkurst (good book, go read it). She gave ways to help make decisions. I'm going to be honest and say that I can't remember all of them, but the ones that stuck are: Is it Biblical (does it contradict Scripture)? Is is being confirmed in other ways--friends, Bible studies, lessons, etc?

I remember going through that book thinking that moving to Rwanda was a BIG yes, but everyday there are little yes' that we have the opportunity to make.

My friend Tara, who has done some really cool things (no41.org--check her out), says often that her organization just evolved out of a bunch of little yes'.

Did we set out to start projects helping young women? No.

Is it Biblical? Yes.

Was it being confirmed in other ways? Yes.

We teach the Duhu girls over and over that God made them unique with strengths and abilities and no one else has the same combination. Then we challenge them to see how they are going to use those in their personal and professional lives. Now, I realize that same challenge is my challenge. How can I use the strengths and abilities to glorify God in everyday life? How I can I say yes to God today?

Not everyone has the desire to move to Rwanda and start a young women's project. But I don't have the desire to be a teacher or a doctor or an attorney, but I'm so glad there are people who have those gifts. Serving God isn't about just what we do on Sunday. Children's ministry is great, youth ministry is great, all the ways we can serve on a Sunday morning is great, but how do we take our Christianity outside Sunday? How can I say yes to God today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big