When I was a child, I talked like a child, I reasoned like a child

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I reasoned like a child... (I Corinthians 13:11). The first part of this verse has been ringing in my head all week. Here in Rwanda, we have staff who help us around the house and in different capacities. I have a housekeeper, Emelyne. (I know this might be a hard concept to get). First, let me explain this and then I will get to my point. Househelp is normal here. If you don't have help, you are the oddball. Labor is inexpensive and the employment is contributing to the economy, giving someone a job who didn't have one.

Emelyne was introduced to me by one of our ministers at our church. He said that she was a young girl, who had graduated secondary school (high school), but did not have the means to go on to university and was looking for a job. When I first met Emelyne, I liked her right away. Her English isn't real strong, but is much better than my Kinyarwanda, so I'm not criticizing. As my roommate, Betsy, and I got to know her, we wanted to do more for her. We knew her employment with us is only a temporary solution, but continuing education would make a long-term difference in her life. So we decided to split the cost and sponsor her to go to university ($500/yr each), in addition to keeping employment with us. Betsy and I took her to the university to find out what we needed to do to get her registered and she did the rest. We laughed and said that we felt like proud mommas taking our baby to college. It was exciting!

Emelyne was a genocide orphan, her mom and dad were killed, leaving her older sister to raise her. We found out recently her older sister had cancer and only last week was admitted into the hospital. On Monday night, I received a teary-eyed phone call from Emelyne, "Jamie, my sister, she's dead." My heart dropped, I didn't know what to say. If I lost my sister, there would be no words that anyone could say to comfort my heart, so I asked what I could do to help. She replied, "You can pray." I told her that I would definitely be doing that.

Emelyne was about 3 or 4 when she lost her parents. Now, her sister, who has been the parental figure for her has died. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I reasoned like a child. I don't know that Emelyne ever had that opportunity. What she faced as a child, changed her childhood. What she continues to face as a university student, is forcing her to deal with what I consider "grown up decisions". She now faces the responsibility of being the care taker and sole financial provider for her niece and nephews, who are close in age, but are still in secondary school. And not only her family, but there are four other kids living in the house that her mother had taken in after their mother died.

At 21, she wants to help take care of the children of the mother who took care of her and four others who also lost their mom. I admire her. I'm concerned, but I have a respect for Emelyne that she will probably never know. Emelyne goes to the orphanage with us every week and asks every Tuesday before she leaves, "We go see the babies tomorrow?" She reaches out to the vulnerable, following the footsteps of Christ. I'm sorry for Emelyne's loss, it makes my heart hurt for her.

Please remember Emelyne and her family in your prayers.
~Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Coasting and God's Vomit

My confessional: I hurt most of the time

Small Bits of my life: My God is so big