I have been thinking how I am supposed to describe the images I saw yesterday and I'm going to do the best I can, so bare with me. We can't take pictures, so I will do my best. After 3 attempts, we were finally able to spend time at the orphanage. This orphanage was set up through the Catholic church because it is ran by nuns (P.S. they are so cute). They have visiting hours that people can come and spend time with the children everyday but Thursday. Wide-eyed, Amy and I followed Keli to a locked gate where we could see a lower level where children who were around 3-5 years old were playing. One little girl in a striped shirt and navy skirt saw that we were waiting by the gate for visiting hours to begin, she looked up at us excitedly and turned to run away. She was alerting the others that there were guests. Within a minute, about 20 or 30 small children came running up to us. They were chanting something in Kinyarwandan. The gate was opened and we were able to continue do...
Well, it's about that time. I'm pulling my suitcases out tomorrow, will start thinking about packing things away and heading back to the US this weekend. Summing up my trip is the hardest thing for me. It was difficult last year and even tougher this year. Everyone wants to know what I did while I was here, what did I see, eat, etc. So, I tried to share bits of that in previous blogs. As a summary, I would like to share what I have learned. When I was preparing to teach the youth class on the Holy Spirit, I re-read the book of Daniel. I'm not sure what was different, but that book impacted me in a very different way than ever before. I read of God's power, how He sent the Holy Spirit to illustrate His power to the unbelievers. Through Tuesday Bible study, I learned that I have to ask for God to reveal Himself to me...and He will. I learned from the babies at the orphanage that bananas and hard boiled eggs smashed up together is pretty good in the afternoon. And, I ...
When we left the orphanage yesterday, Keli says that she prays that they will feel our arms all through the night. I thought that was a pretty good prayer for them. There were a few that were crying really hard. Instead of the baby massages, I choose to just hold and walk around with the crying ones. One little girl was crying so hard, so I just held her tight, sang to her and rocked back and forth with her until she finally gave up and went to sleep. I held onto her while she slept because I was afraid she would wake and because I wanted to snuggle on her a little longer. I don't know her name, but she was a sweetie. Out of habit, I say things like "It's ok. It's going to be ok" to them. But I catch myself thinking that I don't know what their future will hold, so I just said prayer for God to watch over them. Finally, I laid her down and she was so tired she barely budged. There was one little girl who had a herniated belly button, so her bell...
Comments
Post a Comment